Medical Assistants at The Spine & Pain Institute of New York help leading physicians take care of patients. They interview and record patients’ medical information, measure their vital signs, weight and height. They also show patients to examination rooms and gather the necessary information to prepare them for the physician. They record and understand many different laboratory and diagnostic tests. Additionally, they may collect, prepare and log laboratory specimens. Medical Assistants may also assist with administrative duties including scheduling appointments and maintaining medical records.
Medical Assistant Tasks
- Interview and record patients’ medical information and measure their vital signs, weight and height.
- Collect, prepare and log laboratory specimens.
- Show patients to examination rooms and prepare them for the physician.
- May assist with administrative duties including scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records.
Additional Tasks for Operating Room Assistants
- Check patients’ pulse, temperature and respiration.
- Provide patients with help moving in and out of beds, wheelchairs, & recovery chairs
- Maintain records of patient care
- Change bed linens
- Assist physicians with C-arm machine during procedures
- Assist physicians with prepping for procedures
- Cleaning the OR before & after procedures
- Cleaning instruments prior to using autoclave
- Sterilizing instruments using the autoclave
- Completing OR checklist start and end of day
- Completing all necessary logs daily
- Completing procedure notes
- Explaining procedures to patients
- Assist with in room procedures
BACK TO CAREERS