An Authorization Specialist at The Spine & Pain Institute of New York, deals with insurance claims. The Authorization Specialist will take insurance information from clients and will determine if authorization is necessary for the services that are needed.
An Authorization Specialist may also collect any copay that is due from the patient, or he she may make payment arrangements. Then the Authorization Specialist will gather all the necessary paperwork and will contact the insurance company involved.
Customer service skills are essential. Sometimes, preauthorization of services may be carried out, in order to make sure that the services that the patient needs are covered under the insurance policy.
- Proficiency with medical coding, such as CPT and ICD-9 is preferred
- Strong computer skills are required; Data entry skills and strong typing skills are needed.
- Some filing and other practice duties may be carried out by the specialist.
- Front desk duties, such as greeting clients, answering the phone, and scheduling appointments preferred.
Authorization Specialist Tasks:
BACK TO CAREERS
- Ensure payment for services by verifying benefits with insurance provider.
- Obtain, review and input insurance authorization and referrals prior to patient services.
- Monitor and track patient authorizations, informing supervisor of any expired dates.
- Interview and assist patients with authorization documents, as appropriate.
- Maintain appropriate logs or reports according to professional, state and federal requirements.